Monday, September 7, 2009

Oudin and the Open

There's something really special about the U.S. Open in New York City. We love an underdog. Melanie Oudin is so totally likable that you can't help but be thrilled to watch her win. I heard that she was incredible the other night. I just happened to turn on the match with Petrova just now and it was fantastic! She lost the first set, 6 to 1, and then came back to win the next two sets. New Yorkers go crazy when they find someone with that kind of determination and she's only seventeen. I can't wait to see her next match. I was actually invited to go to the Open tomorrow night, but my friend ruptured her Achilles, so we won't get there this year. Next up is Federer and Robredo, a Spaniard. I hope Robredo has a chance.

Today happens to be the 25th anniversary of the first date my husband and I had together. We lived in L.A. at the time, went to see a film called "Sugar Cane Alley," had dinner at a restaurant called Le Cukoo, and ended up sitting poolside at the Bel Air Hotel. It was a very romantic evening. Today probably isn't the actual date, but it was Labor Day in 1984 that we met.

I read this entry this morning in "The Language of Letting Go" by Melody Beattie.

"Powerless Over Others

Stop making excuses for other people.
Stop making excuses for ourselves.
While it is our goal to develop compassion and achieve forgiveness, acceptance, and love, it is also our goal to accept reality and hold people accountable for their behavior. We can also hold ourselves accountable for our own behavior and, at the same time, have compassion and understanding for ourselves.

When we claim powerlessness, we are not claiming irresponsibility. We have no power to control others, what they do, what they did, or what they might do. We're stating that we are willing to end an ineffective life based on willpower and control. And we're beginning a spiritual, mental, and emotional journey in which we take responsibility for ourselves.

We are not victims. We are not helpless. Accepting powerlessness when that is appropriate enables us to begin owning our true power to take care of ourselves.

Today, I will avoid making excuses for my own or someone else's behavior. I will let consequences and responsibility fall where they belong."

No comments: