Saturday, January 2, 2010

Row row row your boat

I was just resting, getting ready for a small party tonight at our loft, trying to get rid of a mild headache.  It suddenly felt like I was floating on a lovely stream and the words "row row row your boat" came to my mind.  I could feel the warmth of a summer day, even though it's twenty-nine degrees outside and snowing lightly.  This time of year is always a challenge for me and maybe that's one of the reasons I like living in NY.  There's three months of weather that I don't particularly enjoy, that require a very serious practice of staying in the moment and not succumbing to complete winter despair.  Well, actually, I usually do succumb to it, but then I bounce back eventually and by May I am positively giddy with pride that I didn't beat anyone up or have a nervous breakdown.  

Actually, if I did beat someone up or have a nervous breakdown, it would make this blog far more interesting, so perhaps I'll try that this winter.  I mean, rowing your boat down the stream is pretty dull, when you think about it.  I need a baseball bat and some boxing gloves, and maybe I'll just start cursing at strangers on the street.  

I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Mia said...

That reminds me of one day when my son was about 3, and he and I had been singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat." He asked me solemnly, "Mommy, is life really but a dream?"

Robin Amos Kahn said...

Oh, I love that!