Friday, August 19, 2011

Fear, and more fear

I imagine there's a way to look up how many times "fear" has appeared in the title of these blog posts.  Many times, I am certain, would be the answer. 

It's a constant, although not always acknowledged part of everyone's lives, I believe.  And the more you try to live a more conscious life, the more you are aware of it. This doesn't mean it should stop you from taking risks and enjoying life, but it does mean you have to learn how to live with fear.  

"Intimacy with Fear" is the title of the first chapter of "When Things Fall Apart."  


"If we want to go beneath the surface and practice without hesitation, it is inevitable that at some point we will experience fear."  
 

Yesterday we met with two general managers to talk about the play and where it should go next.  It all sounded great - they are enthusiastic and interested and believe it has definite commercial potential.  As our director says, "We have a lot of ducks to get in a row."  Fortunately, we only need to get one duck at a time.   

In Steve Chandler's book, "Time Warrior" he quotes Michael Jordan:

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career.  I've lost more than 300 games.  Twenty-six times I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed.  I've failed over and over and over again in my life...and that's why I succeed."  


Last night, I found out from a dear friend that her husband has been in and out of the hospital much of the summer.  I am thinking of her and praying for them both.  I hope I can do more than that, but for right now, that's all I can do.  

No comments: