Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hot and bike-less

I'm not talking about hot, as in sexy, although I like to think I'm hot.  It's very warm here in NYC this summer and I am so ready to leave.  But, unfortunately, this summer isn't turning out to be a summer of travel, not with two dogs to care for.  

And last night my beloved Trek bicycle, which I've had for at least twelve years (in NYC that may be a record) was stolen.  It was parked in front of a church on 5th Avenue and 12th Street, with plenty of people walking nearby.  Someone must have driven up in a van, cut the lock and grabbed it.  I had that same sinking feeling a few years ago when my car was towed, but at least I knew I'd get the car back.  

I actually had the thought the night before when I was riding with a friend (who warned me that my tires could be easily stolen because they had quick releases on them) that the bike was going to be stolen soon.  I never had that thought with such certainty, but I just knew it.  I can't stand living in NYC without a bike and I know I cannot replace that one (it had just had a complete "tune-up," new tires, brakes checked, etc.)  The bike was a part of my old life and I guess it was time to move on.  

I'm on the hunt for an inexpensive, but fantastic used bike.  It's a priority, like having a car is for some people in the rest of the country, my bike is absolutely essential!  I love riding, especially in the summer.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments: