Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Serenity/surrender

First of all, I changed the template for the blog, just to shake things up. I will probably do that periodically.

Second of all, for some reason, I woke up feeling relatively happy this morning and I have no idea why. No "winter coming on blues" (F.O.W.) I watched the debate, it was somber and there were a few times I wanted to throw something at the television, but basically I feel that if Obama isn't elected we will get what we deserve and it isn't going to be pretty. And despite the feelings I have about Sarah Palin (deep dislike), McCain (disgust) and the Republicans (YUCK) -- and what we know will be 27 days of lies, distortions, fear and everything they can think of to throw at Obama (including the kitchen sink) -- despite the fears about the world's economies, I am trying to stay grounded and focus on the positive. (That was a run-on. Sorry. I think listening to Sarah Palin has ruined me.)

Anyway, I recently began reading "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle and in the chapter "Ego: the current state of humanity," he ends with this thought:

"Whenever tragic loss occurs, you either resist or you yield. Some people become bitter and deeply resentful; others become compassionate, wise and loving. Yielding means inner acceptance of what is. You are open to life. Resistance is an inner contraction, a hardening of the shell of the ego. You are closed. Whatever action you take in a state of inner resistance (which we could also call negativity) will create more outer resistance, and the universe will not be on your side; life will not be helpful. If the shutters are closed, the sunlight cannot come in. When you yield internally, when you surrender, a new dimension of consciousness opens up. If action is possible or necessary, your action will be in alignment with the whole and supported by creative intelligence, the unconditioned consciousness which in a state of inner openness you become one with. Circumstances and people then become helpful, cooperative. Coincidences happen. If no action is possible, you rest in the inner peace and stillness that comes with surrender. You rest in God."

Maybe all of this sounds a little far out to you. (Unless you're Oprah, who I don't think is reading this.) If she is reading this, I want to give a shout out: "Hi Oprah!"

It used to seem far out to me, but somehow I've found myself on this path of searching for a deeper meaning, for living not just on one plane, but going deeper into the meaning of the events and experiences of my life and of my friends' and families' lives. And beyond that - to world events. This election is one of those moments.

All I know is, when I am open to the world, coincidences do happen. People do show up for me. Life feels richer and more abundance - and I'm not talking about money, I'm talking about experiences, connection and good feelings and chocolate cake. (I just threw that in to see if you were paying attention.)

New t-shirt coming out today: "THAT ONE: '08"

2 comments:

writerblocked said...

I wish I were Oprah reading receiving your shout-out. Then I would ask you to be on my show and you'd get widespread acclaim.

Your writing is outstanding and your voice is clear. How can I sign up for an RSS so I know when you post?

I look forward to reading the ones that follow.

Julie

Robin Amos Kahn said...

Oh, God, an RSS feed. I can't even figure out how to make the photo smaller.