Monday, October 19, 2009

We are mad as hell

I have been waiting for thirty years for someone to talk about Ronald Reagan and how his administration was the beginning of the end for this country's middle class.  I know that there have been others who have made documentaries and written books, but Michael Moore's film "Capitalism: A Love Story" documents the years of Wall Street and corporate control over this country and our economy, over why we find that 1% of the population controls something like 95% of the wealth and all the rest of us are being completely screwed.  I think that this victim mentality, which I have to admit I buy into frequently in my own personal life, makes us feel powerless  and we are not powerless!  We live in a democracy and it's up to each of us to write letters, march and yell about bailouts and health care and foreclosures and quietly putting up with the lies and misinformation.  



Why Obama put Geitner and Summers in charge of the Treasury Department is an abomination.  Why he hasn't gotten rid of them yet is unconscionable.  Honestly, I got a C in economics, but even I know that we as a country have got to stand up and insist that we will not allow corporations to be more important than citizens and there are basic human rights for health care, the right to work, the right to have a home, a list of rights that we deserve to have.  Franklin Roosevelt laid them out out in a speech near the end of his life, which Michael Moore was able to dig up and put in the film.  

I know that whoever reads this blog is liberal and I am preaching to the choir, but it's so important to talk about this with everyone you know - to open up this conversation and to let it be known that we don't want Goldman Sachs' former executives running our government anymore.  We elected Obama because we want change - and no matter how rich or how poor we are, we do each have a vote.  I will not vote for Bloomberg - I know he will win, but I want to send a message that we are mad as hell.  Go see Capitalism: A Love Story and rent Paddy Cheyefsy's masterpiece "Network" if you haven't seen it in a long time.  


As Michael Moore said in his film "Sicko" so many of us feel that we have no say in our government, but we managed to elect Obama and yet there is so much more we can do and we must do.  


I'm all for breathing and spirituality and all that - but we are at a crucial time in this country's history and if we don't do something, we will all literally be screwed.  


Spend the ten or twelve dollars and see this film.  Please.





 

1 comment:

Stacey J. Warner said...

Have you Zeitgeist the movie? If you really want to get pissed, watch that. I have a link to it on my blog!