Saturday, June 20, 2009

Going to the hardware store for oranges

I've heard this expression over the years and it can relate to all kinds of things, but in this case I'll just be cryptic and leave it at that. Let's just say I'm alone now and it's not an easy time. I miss my mom, I miss Zoe, I feel lonely, it's been raining for something like the past 160 days, the sky is gray and I'm sad. But as Pema Chodron says and my therapist too, feel it. I just talked to my friend Helene and she recommended eggplant parmigiana, which I think is an excellent idea. There's a great Italian restaurant not far from here, so I ordered myself some and I'll call Helene later and we'll compare our eggplant parmigianas. (Is that the plural?)

Anyway, what else? Iran is a pretty terrible place right now. I hope they overthrow everyone and that's probably not going to happen, but it's amazing how many people are turning out and protesting. And they're not sitting around feeling sorry for themselves that they keep going to the hardware store for oranges, they're actually doing something significant..trying to get rid of those horrible disgusting leaders whose names I can't spell.

Blah. That's how I feel. This morning I was thinking how I haven't really been crying that much. And on NPR, on the show Speaking of Faith they were playing spirituals, talking about a singer who had recently died, and they played "Sometimes I feel like a motherless child" and that did it. Lots of tears. The tears feel good really, I feel worse when I am just depressed and sad or angry, or whatever and I don't cry.

Zoe's in California and Steve is too. I'm so hopeful that she will get an apartment and a job in San Francisco and things will go well for her. I know that they're having a good time, because they are at the land, the beautiful piece of property Steve owns with our friends Loren and Libbe and I'm sure they are having a wonderful time. It's hard to be sad when you're sitting in that gorgeous place, surrounded by nature.

I guess even though I feel sad, I do feel alive and I have support and friends who are there for me. And my beloved dogs, Lucy and Lola are here with me. Lucy is always sitting beside me or near me and she is my best friend.

And eggplant parmigiana is on the way. At least you can always call an Italian restaurant and get Italian food.


2 comments:

Mia said...

I like that saying (about going to the hardware store for oranges) but can't seem to track it down. Now this is going to sound like a horrible thing to say, but it was really comforting to read how miserable you are. Just know that you have weepy sisters out there.

Robin Amos Kahn said...

Definitely weepy, back hurts, pretty miserable. But so good to hear from you and to know I'm not alone in the swamp.