Saturday, December 6, 2008

Revolutionary Road and more

I just saw "Revolutionary Road" with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslett, another really fantastic film. God, what do they do? Put out crap all year and then the last month hit us with their best stuff? This one is also really powerful and they are both superb actors. It was beautifully directed by Sam Mendes.

Last night I watched a favorite old movie from 1979, "Starting Over" with Burt Reynolds, Jill Clayburgh, Candace Bergen and Charles Durning. It really held up, scenes that were so memorable, like the Bloomingdale's scene where Burt has an anxiety attack and they ask people in the store if they have a Valium and everyone digs through their purses, are still so funny. James L. Brooks wrote the script and Alan Pakula directed it.

And tonight "Annie Hall" was on Channel 13 and I just had to watch it. Again. I've seen it at least 89 times...and I still love it.


Off the topic of films, didn't you just feel justice was served when O.J. stood in court whining his apology yesterday? And the judge said, "I am not taking into account anything other than this trial and you were found guilty by the jury. Therefore you are sentenced to nine years to whatever in jail." Thank you God and Goddesses. There is justice, karma, whatever the fuck you want to call it. He'll probably get out in a couple of years, but at least he is finally going to jail. I am sorry for his kids, they have had difficult lives.

Also, really great article in this past week's New Yorker (the one with the cover of Obama interviewing dogs - and may I add, a beagle is featured prominently) - about Naomi Klein. My friend saw her speak the other day up in Westport and I have to read her book "The Shock Doctrine." I do think that we have been in a collective coma since 9/11 and have allowed this government and others, and corporations all over the world to do whatever the hell they wanted to, without us literally revolting. Maybe we've finally woken up.

I do appreciate the fact that most of the really excellent films that are coming out at the end of the year have political themes.

1 comment:

red said...

boy, you are one busy girl...getting to see all the new hot movies all in a row. it must be mind boggling...sounds like you are doing ok. are you?