Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The end of this year




Last week, Steve, Zoe and I went to visit our friends Emily and Len at their beautiful country home outside of Honesdale, Pennsylvania for Christmas. It was relaxing and we cooked some great meals (I was a sous chef and did clean up.) I didn't think about work or money or the future for those five days. I read and took walks and enjoyed nature. Len is the only person I know who can tell me jokes and really make me laugh. He used to have a comedy radio show and his timing is impeccable.


It's hard to know what to say about a year that has brought us a major economic downtown, an historic election, Sarah Palin, a despicable sociopath named Bernard Madoff and the end of eight long years of the worst administration in our lifetime.

Goodbye, so long, adios.

I am hopeful that 2009 will be a better year for everyone.

Amen.

4 comments:

anniemcq said...

me too. And I hope it brings us together at least once. Miss you, friend.

red said...

thinking of you...pray for me, alex is in israel, left yesterday for 9 days...happy new year to all of us!

Robin Amos Kahn said...

Oh, I will pray for Alex and you! He'll be fine. Glad it's only 9 days.

Robin Amos Kahn said...

Interesting to look back at this perspective on 2008 from 2012. (November 20, 2012 to be exact.)

Within a few months of that photo our family fell apart, our country continued to struggle, and today, the woman at the center of the photo, and the center of all our worlds, is going into palliative care. If she makes it through the day, I will be surprised. She is going to be so deeply missed, by so many many people all over the world.

2009, was in fact, for me the hardest year of my life, but probably also one of the most important. If the "only way out is through" - I did that. And I continue to.

For Emily, the last few months have been very challenging, she has been ill, but she will soon be at rest. That lovely Christmas day is only a memory, but being at Emily's any time, was always the best. I will miss her every day for the rest of my life. And I do hope to see her again someday.