Monday, May 7, 2012

Gratitude

Today is my birthday and I just want to say how grateful I am for all the love and support I've received, especially over the last few years.  I don't know how I would have ever survived without my friends and family, especially my daughter. 

Birthdays used to throw me, but now I take them in stride.  It's life that sometimes throws me -- the really difficult challenges that I see happening to myself and others.  I don't know how we get through these trials, other than to ask for help.  I do see courage and strength in everyone -- and I've learned through meditation and Pema Chodron's writings, and my own therapy, to accept the feelings, no matter how dark they are, and sit with them.  I don't always succeed, but I do know that if I make a call, I generally feel better, sooner rather than later. 

So on this birthday I acknowledge the gift of friendships and love.  Yesterday I made a list of 100 things I was grateful for.  It's a good exercise -- try it! 


No comments: