Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dark Nights of the Soul

I have been working on a book about loss (it's actually - hopefully - got plenty of humor) - but I've been looking for quotes about difficult times.  Some of them I find in this blog and this one may have appeared, but I think it's worth repeating.  This is yet another of the books I've read in the past two and a half years that helped me enormously:  Dark Nights of the Soul, by Thomas Moore.

"Many people think that the point in life is to solve their problems and be happy  But happiness is usually a fleeting sensation, and you never get rid of problems.  Your purpose in life may be to become more who you are and more engaged with the people and the life around you, to really live your life.  That may sound obvious, yet many people spend their time avoiding life.  They are afraid to let it flow through them, and so their vitality gets channeled into ambitions, addictions, and preoccupations that don't give them anything worth having.  A dark night may appear, paradoxically, as a way to return to living. It pares life down to its essentials and helps you get a new start."



Yet another good quote that reminds me that these past few years have actually been some of the best of my life.  And if anyone is going through a difficult time - remember it won't last forever and the lessons may be painful, but ultimately, they will help to re-order your life in "wondrous ways."  (Cy O'Neal, Friends In Deed.)

No comments: