Friday, July 22, 2011

Melting

What is there to say today except that it's hot.  It was too hot to walk in Central Park.  It is too hot to do much of anything.  It is too hot to care.  It is scary how hot it is, how likely it is that this planet will continue getting hotter every year and our children and their children will have to live with such difficult conditions.

It's too hot to be with friends or go anywhere.  I'm lying on the bed with my beloved dog, Lucy, who is snoring, right next to me.  She's hot too.  I'll turn the air conditioner on again, but it seems likely that with everyone using their air conditioners at full blast, that we could have a blackout.  

It's July.  It's supposed to be hot.  I like it better than February.  I'll like it better when I can get out of the city.  I'd love to jump into the ocean. I'm not complaining, I'm just reporting.  It's f-king hot.   

UPDATE:  I made excellent use of the evening by watching an episode of "The Wire" - Season 4, which may be its best yet.  Love that show.  

But sadly, a terrible attack took over a hundred lives in Norway yesterday, the fighting and drought in Somalia goes on and so many are dying every day, and our own government is demonstating the art of stupidity and ineptitude.  Maybe they're so hot they can't think anymore.  It seems to me given all the riches this country has, that a compromise that doesn't kill the middle class and starts taxing the corporations and the wealthiest people should be simple common sense. 

1 comment:

Robin Amos Kahn said...

I will say that ice cream helps.