Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Daily meditation saves lives!

I started this blog a few years ago to write about my journey in meditation.  Life changed course along the way, if you've followed the blog you'll know that there were a few other matters, like a divorce, the death of my mother, my daughter moving far away, and a few other major life changing events that I've had to deal with.

But I want to share that through all of it, I have continued with my (imperfect) meditation practice.  And I think it saved my life. (At least that's what Deepak Chopra tweeted about this morning.) 

There's something so peaceful about sitting for 30 and sometimes 60 minutes every morning, in silence.  It's one of my favorite times of day.  I try to also do walking meditations sometimes, or even biking meditations.  I think that any time you're alone with your thoughts and you try to focus on your breath and quiet the thoughts, is a meditation.  

Even 5 minutes, a couple of times a day, can be a great way to come back to the moment and rein in all the crazy ideas that constantly go through our heads.  That's what Pema Chodron promised when I started this practice and that's what I've received.

The past week has been a challenge.  But right now, after a good hour of breathing and sitting, I feel ready to take on the day.  And I think it's going to be a good one!  I really do. 

And I pray that everyone in Washington, President Obama and the entire Congress, start meditating, so we can get this budget crisis under control. 

No comments: