Friday, May 14, 2010

The long dark night

Someday I am going to look back at this period of my life and remember it fondly, for it is a time of intense emotional growth and feeling very alive.  But right now, living it is not so exciting.  

Today I'm going with my loftmate Abigail for the weekend to see her son graduate from Colgate and to visit with a dear old friend in Ithaca.  Right now I'm having a hard time getting out of bed.  I picked up "The Wisdom of a Broken Heart" by Susan Piver and the chapter I'm on is: "It is a Dark Night."  


"Midway along the journey of our life
I woke to find myself in a dark wood,
for I had wandered off from the straight path.
How hard it is to tell what it was like,
this wood of wilderness, savage and stubborn
(the thought of it brings back all my old fears),
a bitter place!  Death, could scarce be bitterer.
But if I would show the good that came of it
I must talk about things other than the good."


- Dante, Inferno, Canto 1 (Translation: Mark Musa)




I'm grateful to Esther, who I met at Friends In Deed, who suggested that I read this book.
So many friends along this journey have pointed me in the direction I needed to go.
How do I thank them all?  


My daughter is the one I need to thank most of all, for her love.  I hope she knows how proud of her I am.

No comments: