Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Letting go

This entire year, when I thought I couldn't take any more stress and I'd probably get sick with something at any moment, I somehow managed to avoid colds, the flu, whatever was making the rounds.

But this weekend, I finally couldn't dodge the bullet and now I'm dealing with a pretty bad cold.  I picked up plenty of chicken soup at Zabar's on Sunday.  I've tried Sambucal, Zicam, Sudafed, Umkca, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, my nettie pot, tea, showers, steam, and my conclusion is it just has to run its course.  I feel better after using the nettie pot, but half an hour later I feel terrible again.  I have no energy and I always get depressed whenever I get sick.  

To fill up my time, I've been watching long interviews with Tom Fontana, Carl Reiner and Mary Tyler Moore on a fascinating website called Archive of American Television.  The interviews are between 4-8 hours.  I even watched a few minutes of the interviews of the headwriters of "The Young and the Restless," one of the soaps I used to write.  I couldn't take more than a few minutes of Bill Bell and Kay Alden, but I do find these long interviews fascinating.  Tom Fontana wrote two of my favorite shows, "St. Elsewhere" and "Homicide, Life on the Streets" and someday I'll have the stomach to watch all of "Oz."  And Carl Reiner's advice from his watchmaker father was: never force anything.  If it's not working, stop trying, turn it around, give it some time, think about it, let it go. I like that.


I guess being sick is a bit like that, you can't force yourself to get well, you just have to let go and stay with the discomfort. 

1 comment:

Mia said...

Aw, I wish I 'd known. I would have brought you a salad on my way home tonight. I ordered a half at Whole Foods and they accidentally made me a whole, so I had them put it into two tubs. I thought about calling you and asking if you wanted to share, but then it seemed a little homely, all those squashed lettuce leaves. Hope you feel better soon.