Thursday, December 3, 2009

How do you just have a cold?

A good friend of mine, C, came down with a cold the same day I did and we've been talking on the phone.  Last night, we both had fevers and felt terrible.  I was completely stuffed up and had chills.  I went to bed and slept pretty well, but at 6:30 a.m. my dog Lucy needed to go out for a walk, so I got out of bed and walked her and Lola.  It was a beautiful morning, the rainstorm last night had passed through the city and we enjoyed the walk.  I returned to bed and slept past ten a.m.  I can't remember the last time I slept that late.  But I woke up and felt markedly better, no fever, less stuffy.  I think I'm doing better, but I just spoke to my friend C and she sounded really terrible.  She went to the doctor and he said she has a sinus infection and probably the H1N1 virus.  He put her on an antibiotic and suggested chicken soup and tea and rest.  Then another friend of mine, M, called just now and she was knocked out for three days and went back to work today. 

I am not used to resting this much, but I discovered the show "Glee" and have watched a few episodes.  My brilliant daughter Zoe recommended it to me.  I watched Larry Gelbart on the Archives of American Television and it was fascinating to hear his opinions on all the people he worked with.  I even watched a little bit of the tree lighting in Rockefeller Center.  I'm trying not to panic about work and what I'm going to do.  

First things first: heal myself.  This year has been a rough one and I'm quite happy that it's almost over.  I can't keep up with the news right now: more troops to Afghanistan (not pleased about that) and the health care debate in the Senate, and everything else I've been too distracted to pay attention to and too tired to stay up and watch Jon Stewart.  


At least I can breathe.  Literally, being able to breathe is a big deal.

1 comment:

Barbara Toback said...

Robin, take 1 day at a time and you will get well! As Mom says: "lots of rest and liquids!"
Re Curb...
I saw Series 6 awaiting 7Can't wait!! My activism has increased. Not happy either about 30,000 troops going to Afg, also too many I know have no health coverage, or jobs and on and on. Obama, what's happening to your promises? I could cry and probably will. Hugs, Barb