Wednesday, March 11, 2009

No whining today

Since I frequently use these posts as a way of releasing some of my anxiety, I want to share that I had a really great day yesterday. I've been going to a training workshop at The Actors' Insitute every Tuesday afternoon from 3-6 pm. They have a program for people who are becoming trainers in public speaking, group dynamics, etc. It started as a workshop for actors and then expanded into all kinds of professions. Many of the trainers are actors and directors, but not all of them. Some have no performance experience, but so far most of the ones I've met have worked in theater.

Anyway, yesterday I suspected that I would have to be a guinea pig for one of the coaches in training and I was nervous. I wanted to bring in something written by someone else (like Chris Durang) but the friend who brought me into TAI suggested I use my own writing. I brought in the first five minutes of my monologue and I was praying I wouldn't be called on...and of course, I was.

I love that some of the things we are nervous about are often the things we get the most pleasure out of accomplishing. It was exciting and fun and scary -- and I learned about communicating with the audience in a way I had never experienced before. And I've got a lot more to learn.

1 comment:

Mia said...

I am sooo looking forward to your next performance. Maybe I should just cheat and audit your class ...