Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dancing in the light

I decided that I wanted to change the focus of this blog to something a bit more joyous...dancing.  I remain committed to meditation, but in the past six months I've found so much pleasure in dancing and I want to share that. 

We are having a wedding shower for a friend of ours tomorrow night and we're supposed to share something positive about love and marriage and quite honestly, at this point in my life, I couldn't think of a thing.  The one quote about the institution that came to my mind was Woody Allen's:  "Marriage is the death of hope."

Then I started to think about dancing and how it played a part in my relationship with my ex-husband.  When we first got together, we spent many happy evenings dancing in his living room in Venice, California.  I think if we had kept that up, even in the midst of all the dramas we were living through over the next 24 years, our lives might have been different. But unfortunately, we didn't... and now I am dancing with other partners and hopefully someday with a steady partner.  (Although I'll never give up dancing with other men too, it's fun!

I think dancing is one of the true pleasures of life.  It's something we do when we're really young (I'm stealing that idea from Nigel, one of the judges of my guilty pleasure, "So You Think You Can Dance.") 

Dancing in the light...that's the message I feel like sharing. Dancing for the pleasure of being in the body and feeling the music. 

No comments: