Thursday, November 19, 2009

I'm so tired of being earnest

I think it's time for me to be completely silly.  My sense of humor seems to have deserted me these past few months.  It's been seven months now since I've been on my own really - and five months since my mother died - and it's starting to feel a little better.  I know that the grieving isn't over, but it's slowly starting to lift.  I don't want to quote Pema Chodron, or my book about grief, or anything serious. I just want to say that life is pretty good right now and though I can't think of anything funny and I'm desperately trying to, I am grateful to be feeling optimistic.  

Tomorrow, Abigail, my loft mate and I will be moving across the hall to our friend Sandy's photography studio, as we have the loft re-decorated in time for company to arrive for Thanksgiving.  I'm excited to see what Michael, our "re-decorator" does.  He takes what you have and completely re-arranges it and every apartment I've seen him do is great.

The holidays are definitely a challenging time and probably they will bring up some sadness for me this year - since I won't be with my family - but I'm excited that my daughter Zoe has a job and I'm hoping to visit her sometime this winter.  And I'm grateful for my dear friends and for being a size 6. 


I'm reading an excellent book: "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor - "A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey." And I better read a little before I fall asleep.  


I did read that David Lloyd died a few days ago.  He wrote for pretty much every great sitcom of the 70's and 80's and his most famous show was an episode of Mary Tyler Moore called "Chuckles Bites the Dust."  


"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants."

Sometimes there's just nothing better than a really good laugh.  

No comments: