Saturday, June 28, 2008

L.A.'s Fine

Well, not really so fine.  We came here on Thursday for a memorial service for Steve's dad which will be today.  

Yesterday Zoe, my twenty year-old daughter, went to the beach with her cousins and she forgot to keep putting sunblock on, so she came home with a sunburn, a headache and a stomach ache.  And then Steve, drove up and back to Santa Maria (almost three hours each way) to get his guitar fixed and arrived home, squatted down to get a shot of his mother and his back went out. 

And my mother-in-law isn't doing too well either.  She always complained about her husband, but she said she missed his piano playing and I think, after seventy years of marriage, she finally really appreciated him.  She said, "He was such a talented person."  Most of her life she valued money and he wasn't a big earner, but he was a wonderful musician and loved drawing.  And when he retired from his job as a salesman at a large paper company, I think that was his life really began.  He liked his job, but he loved playing tennis, drawing, teaching art and most of all playing the piano.  He even performed at the independent living facility they lived in.  

I was walking through Beverly Hills yesterday, waiting to meet a friend for lunch and I overheard a woman on her cell phone saying, "I really liked her.  She only charged me $200 - because I paid cash.  And she's going to do below my eyes and around my mouth for only $1500."  

And then I saw a tall gorgeous woman wearing a t-shirt that read, "Feed the Models...save the world."  

I love L.A.  No time for meditation though.  That will come next week, when I am in Connecticut.  But then I won't have access to the internet.  

This trip home with the sunburn and the bad back on the red eye should be interesting.  


No comments: